Club Manager : Wendy Perry
President : Chris Barto
Vice President : Stephen Parker
Captain : Peter Sinclair
Vice Captain : Bjorn Peterson
Directors : David Chegwyn, Gary Charles, Campbell Korff, Isabelle Pinon, Paul Clark
Open from 10am daily our friendly staff are here to help you!
Our Clubhouse sits atop the rise from the 9th green, the perfect half way stop for your round of golf to replenish and rehydrate. We are fully licensed with Keno, TAB and gaming facilities.
We also have changeroom facilities, for those wishing to refresh after their round of golf, before relaxing on our deck with one of our 14 beers and cider on tap, a glass of wine from our extensive wine list, or a Schweppes Softdrink.
We are open for lunch Wednesday to Sunday and Dinner on Wednesday to Saturday, bookings are recommended, call the Club and select option 3.
Byron Bay Golf Club boasts an 18 hole course which features undulating hills and ocean views with an east/west layout on one nine, lighthouse views and a north/south layout on the other nine, and a clubhouse that overlooks the lot.
Today’s Byron Bay Golf Club owes its status as a golf-course-worth-visiting, to the inspired choice of the founding committee, the support and efforts of members, the community, and local businesses and industries, as it evolved from a 7 hole course to the current 18.
In October 1957, the golfing enthusiasts of Byron Bay made the initial moves to establish a golf course. After investigating a number of sites, a dairy farm on Broken Head Road was settled on. The farm had undulating hills, was well grassed, covered 193 acres, had an income flow from a quarry and leased acreage and a farmhouse that had potential as a clubhouse.
The first working bee was held on 24 October 1957 when the tasks of removing old fencing and barbed wire, logs and stone began. Temporary greens were pegged out, Victa household mowers were pressed into action and fairways and green began to emerge. The Sunday family working bees became a regular event.
As the 9 hole course evolved, members with carpentry skills started work on the old farmhouse. By April 1958 all was ready and the official opening was held on 20 April. 100 golfers participated in a 27 hole event. The ‘Associates’, in spite of a tiny kitchen space, did the catering, providing an impressive morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea.
Thoughts also turned to constructing a second 9 holes. Once again with plenty of voluntary labour and local support, 4 more holes were constructed and opened in 1980. Holes 15 to 18 were then constructed and on 6 March 1983, Mr Lionel Barnett, the then NSWGU President, officially opened the 18 hole Par 72 course.
As the years passed the fairways were refined and re-grassed, and permanent greens established. The tree plantings began. By 1974 thoughts turned to the construction of a new clubhouse. This was opened on 18 January 1975 on the current clubhouse site.
In recent years the Club has undergone more changes. The clubhouse now has extensive decking; a great place to sit and take in the views and beauty of the area! The course has kept evolving too. To address drainage and water storage issues additional lakes have been built, the 4th green and 5th tee areas re-modelled, the 9th and 10th fairways rebuilt and extensive bunkers and mounds constructed. The establishment of an extensive irrigation system has enhanced the changes made. The development of the eco-friendly Byron at Byron tourist resort adjacent to the golf club has proved beneficial in this process as the Club now stores and utilises their treated wastewater excess.
As a testament to the challenge and attractions of the golf course Byron Bay has hosted the Australian PGA Seniors Championship since 2007. Byron Bay Golf Club with its challenging Par 5s, spectacular and testing Par 4s and tricky Par 3s has come a long way since 1957!
Byron Bay Golf Club, Byron Bay NSW
“Where the Sun First Greets Australia”